PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Washington flights and security threats (merged)
Old 7th Jan 2004, 03:04
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted a message about the BA/Other country security on another thread. I will find out what response (good or bad) it got.

But I have to say that Danny did put things in a different perspective after reading his post. At least he explained why there are many view points on this subject.

But I still don't think the solution for someone else to decide IF they will operate from their country to the US with air mashalls is to scream/piut and cancel the flight. DIfferent countries view things sifferent and even throughout Europe there are different view points.

Around the world differnt countries require differnet things that I can either accept or don't enter that country or get fired.

Some of these countries (I've been to 6 continents) go nuts over RSVM or non RSVM airplace whether there are 1 or 2 airplanes for 1,000 miles. Many countries and many controllers are more purists than others just like pilots.

South America has many one way airways and many restrictive altitudes that test the airplane you are flying. I can't remember exactly where it is other than the middle of South America,but somewhere you have to either get FL310 or FL390. NOTHING IN THE MIDDLE IS ACCEPTABLE. Do I think this is right?

I remember in CDG where everybody taxis counterclockwise. Why? It's their way.

LHR only clears one to land almost in the flare. Why? That's what works for them.

Some countries tell you to line up behind landing aircraft. They let the pilot make his own call as to when that is. SOme people feel this is dangerous. Well, other countries have controllers tell YOU when to get on the runway. Better?

Some countries X-ray bags inbound. I can think of Snatiago and Seoul in the old airport. India sometimes also. Do I think this is stupid for flight crews and do I resist? Yes. Can I do anything about it.

The US is simply saying, you'll do it our way or you won't come here. Your choice. Do I think every bright idea is that? Bright?

The truth is that there are countries more safe than others. Perhaps terrorist have no grudges against XXX country. But I hope that some are not so naive to believe that if a terrorist groups is going to find the path of least resistance. They will.

I also find it quite amusing of those that say, "we live with terroism and we are experienced at it,so its no big deal". It is if you or your country is the site of the terrorism.

Anyway, thank you Danny for at least 'splaining another view point.