PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Sky Marshals on Some UK Flights
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2004, 02:43
Tripower455

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
If only the public really knew how pathetic security really is and the terrorists will be exploiting those weaknesses. Never, ever expect the obvious from those suicide terrorists.
Absolutely 100% correct! Which is why I am surprised that many of your pilots are against the marshalls. Why rely solely on ground assets and fighters, and not put any (other than the improved, yet not nearly perfect door) between those two layers, in the aircraft?

Even the best ground security program in the world (El Al) has been breached recently.

What have we been given? An obvious placebo which as far as we are concerned is likely to be as bad for us as it may be good.
No offense, but how are sky marshalls bad for you?

I am quite sure that the liability concerns for the PIC will be addressed, and if they aren't, then it's a no brainer. SOS. I do agree that if a specific flight is targeted, then placing the sky marshall and flying the flight is foolish. Better to be safe than sorry and cancel. For the rest of them, having them on random, possible risk flights is prudent and a deterrent.

Then again, would I rather be alive to answer the libility charges or be bleeding out on the galley floor, whilst the aircraft that I was responsible for is heading for some valuable real estate?

Tough issue.......

edit:
Danny,

If it's any comfort, from one Captain to another, I've been dealing with these guys for over 2 years now, on a regular basis, and to a man/woman, they've been nothing but consummate professionals. I am also privy to a quite a bit of their training, and can say without any reservation, that you are far better off with them back there, than not, if the bad guys are on board. I am, of course, assuming that the UK guys will be trained similarly to their US brethren..... just more of my $.02!!!!