PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2022, 09:03
Beamr

Received 350 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Put it this way, if Russia drops a tactical nuke on Ukraine and there isn’t a proportional response, say NATO simply ramps up supply’s and operations in the area, that then gives Russia the belief that there will be no nuclear response, so they are free to drop another and another.
I would like to emphasize that by response I mean proportional response without nukes. As an example there are two carrier groups in the mediterranean currently with plenty of assets to strip Russian Black sea fleet and Crimean bases off assets without nukes. And the notorious bridge.
I'm suggesting that NATO would join the efforts, not just by increasing supplies to Ukraine but by boots on the ground, and at least with anything that flies. Either from a sub, from a MLRS, or fixed/rotating wing asset.
If the nukes are then tossed again, the response should be proportional WITH nukes.
This approach would still make it clear to all that if you use nukes you'll be confronted by the military wrath of an average sized planet and destroyed.

Now what has been forgotten from the discussion is that Biden drew the line on all NBCs, eg. chemical warfare as well. Biden advised Putin not to or the fecal matter hits the fan. At that point there would be a proportionate response as well, but I seriously doubt that anyone would even consider using chemical weapons despite the dictator using them.