PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-4
Thread: Edinburgh-4
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2022, 23:39
Planeraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A350Saltire
The new international arrivals hall was always supposed to be temporary I thought until the next phase of expansion takes place - building out east and then south-east.

Covid delayed that expansion but I imagine it is probably back on the cards again. They are definitely going to need more stands for wide bodies given the time some aircraft waited for a stand this summer.

I think the team at EDI have done a fantastic job growing the portfolio of routes and establishing EDI as the main Scottish airport and often they do not get enough credit for that however they must now address the infrastructure properly.
I agree with what others have said re the current terminal and set up. It really isn’t big enough, set up or well enough equipped to cope with the current portfolio of routes and the likelihood of more long haul routes. The expected return of emirates with a 773 will also add to the pressures. The current pier could be extended further and more air bridges added to accommodate wide body aircraft. They also have the option of a brand new satellite type building to the east. This would obviously come at a huge cost and would require underground access for pax, possibly with a transit train. Like many American airports have. The current owners haven’t hidden their desire to sell if the price is right. Pre pandemic they were actively marketing a sale. Substantial investment is needed to take the airport to the next level. Hopefully exciting times ahead.