PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 over controlling/PIO fix.
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2022, 13:33
Goldenrivett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
....In a turbulent approach with say a wing drop, you will sometimes need to hold full opposite side-stick for a couple of moments to pick it up. Meanwhile the FBW will be doing the same. You have 25°, the FBW has 15°, so between you and the FBW, you have the 40° roll demand*.
Hi Uplinker, This is where we differ in our understanding of the system.
From FCOM Normal Law Roll Control:
"When the aircraft is in the “in flight” mode, normal law combines control of the ailerons, spoilers (except N° 1 spoilers), and rudder (for turn coordination). ….. it also limits the roll rate and bank angle, coordinates the turns, and damps the dutch roll.
The roll rate requested by the flight crew during flight is proportional to the sidestick deflection, with a maximum rate of 15 °/s when the sidestick is at the stop."

The instinctive reaction to a wing drop is to do as you say and use full side stick - but it is only necessary to hold a small side stick deflection to request say 5 °/s roll rate. The FBW system will now command up to full aileron / spoiler deflection to achieve that requested roll rate.

I have found myself reverting to previous Boeing type handling in roll during turbulence and had to remind myself to only give small roll requests on the side stick in order to avoid PIO.