PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Sky Marshals on Some UK Flights
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2004, 22:22
McC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alpha Charlie

" 'teddys in the corner' by BALPA and a few airlines are not contributing to safer skys"

I'm a Captain and a BALPA member. I support BALPA in it's attempt to establish the correct protocol. We have had too many rushed and ill considered proposals pushed through by Govt departments which have done little to improve security. Take my swiss army knife from me at security but allow me access to a fire axe in the cockpit?

BALPA accept the inevitability of armed guards but are trying to make sure it is done properly. The principle of who is in command will no doubt be tested in a court in the future when an innocent passenger is injured and the Commander held responsible. I'm sure most UK armed guards would like the protocols agreed as well. We can't have their thoughts made public. There are no greater supporters of safety and common sense than Pilots.

Airlines like Thos Cook may also be under pressure from their insurers. Nothing is simple, but don't make ill informed criticism of my union please.

Peter McCambridge