PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Company SAR Times.
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2022, 08:04
rescue520

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Ah I understand what you meant by SAR time now - I thought you were looking for a recording of SAR flights and hours for training and operational use.

Do I understand it is an app to calculate time to start overdue action?
That's correct currently pilots will text if in mobile range or sat call us with the following
  • aIrcraft rego
  • POB
  • Departure location to Arrival location
  • SAR Time. (Time they should have well and truly arrived by)
  • Any other info

We acknowledge this then find the alarm with the same name as the aircraft rego in the phone and set that alarm for the SAR time set.

The pilot all going well will text or call cancelling their SAR time which we acknowledge then turn off the alarm.

If the alarm sounds we start our emergency response process to verify safety.

Sounds easy enough but do that 150+ times a day and chase up 10 or so forgetful pilots is not that efficient use of time and also allows for errors in wrong time set on the alarm or wrong SAR cancelled with fat fingers etc.

Ideally we want something to take the middle man out as much as possible.

When In phone coverage they have an app that they put all the required details in sends to an online server somewhere. Ops are none the wiser except the time pops up on an online dashboard or similar.

Again if in range pilot cancels the SAR online and the time disappears from the dashboard all is ok.

If out of range they can satphone call or landline call the ops team who can enter this online on behalf of the pilots.

If a SAR time expires then all the alarm bells activate, text or call is made to the ops team advising of overdue and then we start our emergency response process.

Bonus points if they system can semi start the emergency process for us. I.e on expiry of SAR system automatically sends a "ops normal?" Text to the pilot. After x time the SAR has still not been cancelled texts the ops team. After a further x minutes texts the emergency response team. Etc etc.

I'm hoping something like this exists out there even different ideas from other operators who still track SAR Times.

Or are SARTIMES not really used in the industry anymore with all the flight tracking, ELTs, PLBs...