PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Small plane missing near Lucyvale Victoria
Old 21st Sep 2022, 06:41
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Vale Mathew

Very sad.
From the brief information from this forum was that the weather at the time of the accident was bad.

Any further word?
?CFIT in bad weather, reduced visibility.
?Mountain wave with rotor (either in flight break up due turbulence or sinking air exceeding climb capability of the Jab).
Ref: Mountain wave turbulence (atsb.gov.au)
? Engine failure with nowhere to go.
Press on itis?

Would seem that he had flown this route before?

His route was heading towards a designated remote area (bound by Mt. Franklin, Khancoban and Jamieson on its western flank) with high cumulus granitus. (I have flown YPOK to YSCB in the past (I was in a C172), I went overhead YMAY and YTMU to avoid the designated remote area and the higher ground (although the Brindabellas (between YTMU and YSCB) get quite high, 4,758 at Big Dubbo Hill). Yes this was not the direct path, but one with a lot more options (airports, refuelling points, diversion points) along the way). This assumes that you are endorsed for CTA ops, otherwise you would have to skirt around the YMAY zone (or underneath the steps) and there is not much room between the hills and the bottom the steps close into YMAY.

Under RPL, you can add endorsements, such as ops in CTA.

Apparently also a paraglider pilot, so would assume that he would be savvy about micrometeorology in the high country.

I recall that in the last twenty years that a light twin (?destination Merimbula) accident occurred in a similar area due likely icing and probable mountain wave/rotor conditions, but I have been unable to find this on the ATSB website.

Vale mathew