PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Her Majesty's funeral
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2022, 17:00
oldmansquipper

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Trumpet trousers
Possible Walt?
Did anyone see the bearded guy on the BBC coverage with a sand coloured beret adorned with an RAF other ranks SD cap badge?

Apart from that, I thought the BBC coverage was excellent, Huw Edwards was on top of his game, and Kirsty Young excelled I thought, and the emotion was clear to see as she signed off last night.

TT. The whole day was enthralling, the military participants were all magnificent and the planning and execution of ‘London Bridge’ (remember practising bits of it with a dust cart at Benson back in the 70s - it’s stood the test of time, for sure) was superb. The hundreds of thousands lining the route from London to Windsor quite took my breath away. The silent majority showing great respect. Awesome.

The retiring pipers will stay in my memory forever…as will our gracious Queen. (Thank you ma’am)

Re: WALT? - I did see, but he(?) Couldn’t possibly be a Walt. It was probably someone parachuted in from the ‘Beeb’ and who has been in the corporate dressing up box. Didn’t see much of KY, having been bored by HE earlier, I watched the ITV presentation which was excellent.

However, I can’t really agree with your assessment of the Beeb coverage. IMHO, They continued their week long banality in their evening coverage post funeral. When interviewing people watching events around the country, we were treated to the ‘how do you feel?’ question constantly. Particularly irritating was the obvious seeking out of minority groups….including BAME, ‘Pride’ members, mixed race families and a pair of anti monarchy lesbians. (The ‘Walt’ abomination was part of their Veterans piece, IIRC) Not very representative of the hundreds of thousands who were there, lining the streets.

All in the interests of balance the Beeb might say.

Agenda bending spin, I would say. (Just my opinion, you understand)

Last edited by oldmansquipper; 20th Sep 2022 at 17:01. Reason: Because I can.