PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Her Majesty's funeral
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2022, 16:00
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Two's in
That impressive young man is a 2nd Lt in the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. He has a single "pip" correctly known as a Bath Star. He is commanding the 8 NCO's, ranging from Sergeant to Guardsman (Private). As important as his role is, he is being ably guided and supported by the backbone of the British Army, the Company Sergeant-Major (Warrant Officer Class 2). The entire funeral over the last few days has been probably one of the best "Purple" displays of collaboration, professionalism and precision you will see in a lifetime.
Help please on detail : not pedantry but trying to keep up with what I once knew................ I could only identify the right flank bearers: a Gdsn, a LCpl and two LSgts. I looked hard for any evidence of rank on those with right arms obscured, could see none, but equally could see no SNCO [Gold Sgt or CSgt] sashes on them. The small detail differences on SNCO cuffs and collars also seemed absent. However I am struggling with cataracts awaiting intervention.

This curiosity detracts not one iota from my admiration of the bearers' devotion to task: like many, many others I willed the coffin up the steps without incident. I remember Churchill's bearers, in greatcoat order, struggling.

Last edited by langleybaston; 20th Sep 2022 at 22:36. Reason: error removed