PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training seems condensed in aviation
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2022, 11:07
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by twinotterifr
Based on observation, i have noticed a theme when it comes to training in aviation courses, that everything seems to be condensed into a very short time frame. I recall basic flying training and the ATPL theory ground school was packed into a short period especially for integrated schools. The same is true for the systems ground school in TR, having given only a week or two to learn an extremely complex system architecture for a jet. I've watched military documentaries on fighter jets and their ground school is also extremely condensed, almost like a crash course. Is there any particular reasoning behind this? is this purely a commercial benefit (i.e for cost savings)? or perhaps intentionally designed to test the individual's ability to grasp large volumes of information within a specified time frame? (i.e a quality/trait test necessary for the profession). Wouldn't it be logical, especially for the military, to learn the required knowledge thoroughly for ensured understanding and also safety reasons? i've wondered about this for a long time and would love to know your thoughts especially from the experienced instructors in the learning department.
I woulda thought that the classes are to just give the student the ‘mind set’. All of the book learning is available in books or on the internet - suggest learning as much as you can before the class so yer gets more outa the class.

Disclaimer: I’m not an instructor.