PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Her Majesty's funeral
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2022, 11:03
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by charliegolf
The, "This is how we do it here, and public opinion isn't going to change us.", has worked since Q Victoria (and before). Good luck with that in the social media age. HMTQ got it spectacularly wrong with Diana- and she knew it. Now that the Queen is gone, the republicans will stick their heads above the parapet, here and abroad. I am not saying go all Facebook and Twitter, but read the flippin room!CG
Well, of course I am an aged fossil that has little time for 'Social Media', other than PPRuNe (if indeed it so qualifies), but there is a risk to pandering to it just as there was in pandering to TV in the 60's. The only authority that will change things is that of the British people. Unless and until it votes by Referendum or General Election to change from a Constitutional Monarchy to the UK being a Republic then the throne is safe. It has seen far more rocky times than this.

George V was so concerned about the possibility of a communist rebellion here that he condemned the Russian Royal Family to its terrible fate. His mistake perhaps, but Queen Elizabeth II had the measure of her people if not her media and was, I would suggest, the greatest monarch we ever had (though threatened now with the threat of her acquiring that very title). It was never her style and is best forgotten to my mind. A very hard act to follow, but all the more reason to support HM King Charles III now in every way possible.

A reminder that Edward VII was the despair of his mother, whose long reign meant that he too inherited the throne late in life. He surprised all by making it his purpose to build the Entente Cordiale with our dear French friends (well, they were then!).