PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Her Majesty's funeral
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2022, 20:11
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
A belated Amen to everyone who has rightly offered special praise for the Queen's Company Grenadier Guards bearers. I lost count of the number of times they bore the coffin from gun carriage to cafalque and vice versa, and finally up the precipitous steps of St Georges Chapel. All done perfectly. Bravo gentlemen. It seems almost invidious though to pick out any one particular unit in a spectacle that was both complex, demanding, and a fitting tribute to a Commander in Chief and Monarch. So, to everyone involved in whatever role, BZs to you all! Well done!

A query, that I am certain will be answered with authority by our knowledgeable experts, about the Abbey receiving line. There were two ladies dressed in WWII type Khaki uniforms saluting arriving heads of state and government at the door. Would I be right in supposing them to be members of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry? If so, I have seen them in the Remembrance Day Cenotaph march past, presumably in tribute to the very brave women agents of the WWII SOE who were enlisted into their organisation to provide some cover should they be captured after being dropped into enemy territory. I see from their web page they are on the Army list but not part of the Army (a very British fudge!) :-

https://www.fany.org.uk/about-us

They always seemed to march past as the massed bands played the march The Liberators. Coincidence or not, it seemed most appropriate.