PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LTC course requirements
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2022, 12:11
nickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BraceBrace
Workload, time management and communcation is a captain's responsability on the flightdeck from day one, you don't need to be TRI or LTC for that. It is the first thing a TRI/LTC will have to "guide" when flying with upgrading people flying in the left seat for the first time. So it's understandable that a company might require some time in the left seat before you're eligible to be an LTC or TRI.

The companies I know will make TRI's undergo TRI training in the simulator and start LIFUS flying already before that as it takes a long time to complete the simulator training. When you start out as a TRI, it's the same "swimming" feeling as an LTC when you do LIFUS for the first time. Both TRI and LTC have at that point received exactly the same teaching & learning training. There is no "new" status that makes you gain experience in the simulator first as a TRI, you're "thrown in the LIFUS flying" like any other starting LTC.

And as mentioned before, having LTC experience before jumping into a TRI position is a gigantic advantage.
If you had read my post better you would have seen that I mentioned “improves” which an undeniable matter of fact; observing 2 trainees in the front whilst operating the sim and taking notes improves workload management, when and how to communicate and situational awareness.
Historically speaking in the former JAA Land LTC were the so called “nominated commanders”; Cpts nominated by the operator to support line training mainly dealing with pilots in the last phases of training prior to their final line check.
My personal experience having dealt/dealing in training TRIs and LTCs is that a good experience in the backseat of the sim makes the transition to “the real thing” smoother and with consolidated teaching techniques in addition to higher quality facilitation and debriefing skills. The “abuse” of LTCs in having to deal with 200 hours cadet derives from the need to find something quick and cheap for airlines. I do know for a fact that many serious operators conduct LTCs training of high quality and get their guys ready for the challenge but since EASA does not put any barrier to this, you can find operators with some questionable training programs with a ground school day, one sim and 4 sectors. And obviously the LTC has a solid 500 hours PIC to compensate this short training. This is also part of the race to the bottom. You want instructors? Good give the guys a rating. If they run away with a TRI in their pocket in means you’re a crappy operator, as simple as that.