PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan tried to escape from Wellesbourne, 16th Sept 2022
Old 18th Sep 2022, 16:01
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DucatiST4
Only if the organisation involved has at least one employee. 655MaPS who look after the aircraft and were involved in the incident is entirely voluntary. Granted its not totally clear how the aircraft being owned by the airfield might affect this position but there would seem to be no employer - volunteer relationship which means that Health And Safety laws do not apply.

"When health and safety law does not apply

In most cases, health and safety law does not apply where volunteering does not involve an employer."
I hate to shatter your delusion here...H n S legislation most certainly does apply to volunteers ...the railway I was on had it in their various regulatory notices ..not that they actually bothered with such until the ORR arrived and forced them to start complying...but H n S is applicable across just about every organisation...."duty of care " mean anything to you at all ?

In case you were wondering, for me the purpose of an investigation is to establish what went wrong....and why. Not a "blame game " exercise...that's counter productive in flight safety, albeit for some organisations it's sadly still in place. The only time I'm in favour of finding fault and attributing blame is when it's warranted by virtue of those involved being cavalier and indifferent to the rules they feel don't apply to them.

Remember also, this aircraft, whilst it's not flying, is still a working and functioning aircraft and the public can get very close to it. Once you allow the public to be in close, or even relatively close, proximity to a complex and potentially very dangerous piece of machinery, then you need to ensure all measures that can be taken for their protection can and will be, in place.

Think about it, all of us who have been involved with live aircraft had the dangers and safety aspects drummed into us from day 1 and continuously after that. Most of the general public don't and are therefore dependent on organisations and trained personnel who do.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 18th Sep 2022 at 16:27.