PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying a laptop.... which one??
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2004, 18:41
Timothy

Sub Judice Angel Lovegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dell desktop support has gone the same way as PC World - staffed by plebs
I don't think the problem is that they are "plebs". The trouble is two-fold:

- They are distributed between India and Ireland. The brains are in India, the management is in Ireland, and both offices employ people with such a poor grasp of received English that communications with them and between them is appalling. The call queuing system means that if a call is passed between offices (typically between India and Ireland, but sometimes within them) take an unbelievable time, anything up to 40 minutes in my experience. I have had four-five hour support calls, most of which has been taken up with music on hold and then re-explaining the dificulty to the next person.

- Individuals are not empowered to take any decisions outside their procedures, and if the problem does not fit the procedures they try to just terminate the call, rather like an error message terminating a program.

Our experience is much worse than that of amanoffewwords. I don't think we have had any DOAs, but innumerable problems with keyboards, disks, power supplies, screens, touch pads, the lot.

Having had over 30 Dell laptops, about 10 desktops and at least two servers, we would not dream of buying anything from them ever again, unless they announce that they have brought their support desk back in house.

Will