PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LTC course requirements
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2022, 17:33
nickler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
If you are designing a training program from scratch, just think of what kind of knowledge/skills you think an LTC would need - I’m sure as long as you’ve put some thought into it, it should be acceptable to your authority.

A full T&L course isn’t a bad start, combined with a session or two (or three) in the sim, consisting of RHS (re)familiarisation and check, UPRT, takeover techniques, patter/intervention, rejected/balked landings, etc.

A full TRI course for an LTC is a huge overkill, IMHO. An LTC doesn’t need to know how to operate the sim, teach abnormal procedures, most manuevers (including UPRT), or even most of the normal procedures to be fair, as the student should have demonstrated this by the time they arrive at the line training stage - how else would they have passed their LST? Let alone AoC in the aircraft, even a lot of TRI/Es don’t have that, unless they do base training or ZFTT.

It’s much more productive to focus on skills they actually need to be an effective LTC.
I have a different opinion.

Having a complete instructor background makes overall a big difference in the way the LIFUS is conducted. Learning how to conduct briefings, debriefings and handling a sim improves situational awareness, workload and time management and communication. I have trained new TRIs on the line to conduct LIFUS and have recently started training new LTCs to do the same. It is a different story. Ok 2 different airlines, where TRI training took 3 months and somewhere else the LTC training takes 3 days. The end result is a bit different.