PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF F-16 pilot dies possibly due to counterfeit parts in his ejector seat
Old 16th Sep 2022, 01:53
MechEngr

Received 217 Likes on 120 Posts
No one checking that filing?
"The USAF set the DRS’s system reliability requirement at 0.999%"
I would hope that percent symbol is a typo.

It's really unclear from the indicated events what the f' happened to that board. The main argument seems to be that the circuit board had several components removed in crude fashion and then replaced with counterfeits after the crash. If so, then it's not possible to prove the original components in place during the accident/crash were counterfeits. It certainly seems that whatever was done was of such a level of incompetency that one must assume the original configuration was not fit for purpose.

If one is interested in such things, Ken Shirriff has a web site dedicated to identifying and reverse engineering microchips and older circuits and sometimes discovering counterfeits. The fact that this sort of investigation isn't mentioned for the crash unit is perplexing, especially in view of the suggestion there was tampering and counterfeiting. See https://www.righto.com/

The main problem from electrical component counterfeits is old designs that are qualified with certain components. To be known to be reliable for the task a chip is typically on the market for some time, but often this positions them close to end of life, This runs up against a 20-30 year support life requirement and if the board maker doesn't manage a life-time-buy for all the parts they might ever need they start to get pushed to the open market. Not too bad at 1-5 years, but come 10-20 years and the rate at which antiques are available gets spotty. Worse, when the order for a long-obsolete component goes out it's clear that there is no available substitute and the buyer will spend whatever is necessary short of being a full-redesign and qualification. Enter the pirates. They will sand off markings and apply new ones, sometimes to compatible chips; sometimes to completely different functions.

Again - the complaint is missing significant details to determine any of this but, were I to be looking, the age and the end-of-life production status would be among the first questions I'd ask.