PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF F-16 pilot dies possibly due to counterfeit parts in his ejector seat
Old 15th Sep 2022, 17:14
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks Nutloose. Very interesting.

I recall an aircraft programme in the 90s. A 13 aircraft fleet, and the IFF fit policy was Full Fleet Fit. That is, 13, plus hot rigs, reference rigs, deployed spares, sim, etc. At least 24 required to meet the policy, and there would have been no argument had that number been sought, at £330k a pop. The Service said 10 will do, and that's what funding the IFF office was given. The inevitable complaints about lack of support came in, but what amazed me was how quickly a company in the US sent across a rep offering me 4 'second-hand' systems immediately, for a 10th of the new cost. Obviously tracking what was being bought and, impressively, how many we SHOULD have been buying. (Which the Service obviously couldn't calculate, although to be fair they'd got rid of the posts who knew how to work an abacus). Asked for provenance, etc., he walked away. I also found it interesting that his credentials got him through MoD security and he was given unaccompanied access to the site.