PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb Bomb Revival?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2022, 18:14
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
And the high loss rate of anti-aircraft radar systems to HARM type weapons is going to require a major re-think of how to provide anti-aircraft protection (especially near the front lines).
Very interested to see any open source assessment of this loss rate. It's an aspect of the war which as far as I can tell is being heavily classified on both sides, unsurprisingly because the wider costs of any weaknesses exposed would be huge.

Now if you are going to link me to videos of Ukrainian aircraft firing HARM with a tablet interface mounted in the cockpit, I'd be very impressed with the forward leaning attitude of their weapons integration engineers, but I'd also reflect this: a few video clips showing jerry-rigged HARM firings, unguided into the deep blue yonder; some yells of "MAGNUM MAGNUM" in Ukrainian on unencrypted frequencies; and some previously unseen social media photos of GBAD destroyed in ground fighting all adds up to quite an effective info ops campaign to demoralise Russian operators and discourage them from transmitting. Not saying that's what it is, but that it's very hard to know what those videos actually show!