PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet another RAF whitewash- A400 is simply unfit for purpose.
Old 12th Sep 2022, 20:46
Lonewolf_50

Received 461 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown
Seems a bit of a hysterical reaction to alleged comments by one anonymous 'service member' who may or may not exist. What aircraft type doesn't need repairs and modifications during its service life?
When I compare what was in the article with the title of the Opening Post, I had the same thought. Someone is grinding an ax. (The OP, thinks I).
Originally Posted by tucumseh
20 years ago the FRES KURs said:

"The dstl C130 Study [of 2002] for DEC DBE demonstrated that the C130 envelope places too stringent a constraint on FRES. The most efficient means of strategic air transport of a FRES-equipped force and its combat supplies is considered to be by A400M and other FLA. The use of these assets is able to meet the core Rapid Effect scenario timelines and threat constraints".

When you endorse something like that, it's very difficult to revert. It sets a date for the beginning of rundown of C-130 funding, never mind all the other platforms FRES was to replace. 20% cut in each of the remaining five years to OSD, so you better meet the new platform ISD. It's easy to slip a programme, but very difficult to sustain the old one without getting the 20% back - and it's already been committed elsewhere. FRES Initial Operating Capability was to be 2007. Full Operating Capability was to be 2014. (How did that work out?)

Now imagine the sheer number of programmes/capabilities affected by this. C-130 was lost in the noise. And very quickly so was FRES.
Has FRES died on the vine, or, are some nations using it and the UK eventually opted out?
(I am vaguely remembering how the specs for a Sherman tank were derived, and it included transportability on various ships of various sizes).