PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie & Flying Training Advice (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2022, 03:16
ajax58

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
Not sure if you are giving or receiving, it's a slik sales pitch.

Someone who's done the course part time will have at least 100 hours in command, no expensive ratings that they can't use and will have to spend a lot keeping current and will have spent about half as much to be more job ready. .

I'm speaking as someone who has been employing pilots for 30 years. And as one of the taxpayers who is subsidising this rort.
Someone who has seen the disappointment on the faces of people whose HECS debt is maxed out and, if they did actually finish can't find work because there are thousands of others just like them, who fell for the same trick.. And as their HECS is maxed out they can't do anything else at uni to get a useful qualification!
I'm not sure if you're aware, but you don't need to complete a full CPL/MECIR set of qualifications via student loans. You could, if you so wished, complete a bare CPL in under a year via an AVI50219 diploma course. No expensive ratings necessary and plenty of room in the loan cap to complete another course if needed. Then with the time you've saved you could rent a 152 on weekends to get those 30 extra hours.

I've seen enough in my time to form my own opinions on the positive and negative aspects of various training options. Personally I'm happy to have my tax dollars help people access flight training. Recent history is littered with far more egregious government spending.