PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astigmatism first class medical
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2022, 16:00
Sharklet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by iggy
Try calling them or droping them an email asking about your case. If you are paranoid about concealing your real name, just use a one time email address.

[email protected]
Phone: 62140797
Thanks, I'll drop them an e-mail. Not paranoid about revealing my name since I think there's no point in hiding it.

Originally Posted by nonsense
Astigmatism has both an orientation in degrees and a power in dioptres. Asking how to convert degrees to dioptres is a bit like asking how to convert heading to airspeed.

Bear in mind I'm just an engineer (not a pilot, nor an optometrist) who happens to own an altogether too interesting pair of eyes, which despite all their faults still work remarkably well.
I would be very surprised if the CAAS medical references the orientation angle of astigmatism. It doesn't really tell you anything useful about the severity of visual impairment. They will almost certainly only be interested in the power in dioptres of the astigmatism. The angle is needed to specify the corrective lenses, but does not give an indication of the degree of visual impairment.
Valid point. Still, I'm clueless then what to make of it. Best talk to those that write these rules then.