PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2004, 11:39
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame....

Insomnia rules! It's 4.15am.......

Thank you MOTF for posting such an excellent picture.

The aircraft is a rare Miles Monarch G-AFLW - a type that hasn't graced our skies for many years. I am not sure whe 'LW last flew but would guess at 10 years or more.

The owner is Dr. Ian Dalziel - the pilot who flew my Miles Falcon to victory in the 79 Kings Cup.

He ignores all efforts by many to contact him regarding the aircraft.

Whilst it is at least hangared, it has suffered badly in storage and appears to need a full rebuild.

Alas, old plywood aircraft are rare for a simple reason. My guesstimate of the costs involved for a full rebuld to flying condition are circa £200k+ and for an aircraft that you would struggle to sell for £30k in pristine order.

The Monarch- effectively a 3 seat cabin fuselage on a Magister wing and U/C and a Falcon/ Hawk fin & rudder - lacks the beauty of the Falcon and Magister etc. and this will further restrict its appeal to anybody other than a 'Miles Nut' like me.

I would love to save it. So, if anybody out there has the inside track on the mysterious Dr Ian Dalziel and can tell me why he won't even speak to me let alone respond to my letters (or anybody elses for that matter) I would dearly like to know.

He must have spent a fortune on hangarage over the years at White Waltham. It appears that he will continue to do so....

Ho hum.

Back to a hot bottie!

HP