PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What causes "blowback/flapback" when accelerating through transverse flow effect?
Old 10th Sep 2022, 22:21
fdr

Received 856 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
Thank you Mr FH1100.

Yes I used to teach this stuff from 1976 onwards, but retiring from flying and instruction leaves me with these sites. I think Crab, fdr and Shy are in a similar boat.

But if you want REAL knowledge, you have to ask Nick Lappos, Sikorsky's chief test pilot, who cruised these sites in the past. Sadly Shawn Coyle has departed the helipad, but his book Cyclic and Collective is around, with knowledge and wit combined.

And pay attention whenever John Dixson visit the site, his knowledge is the supplement to Nick's, two gentlemen who were in on some of the best testing ever.
Shawn's "little book of Autorotations" & "40 years afore the mast" are good reads. Last time we spoke he was putting together the notes on the Ray Prouty Lecture series, I read the first chapter, and it was well done, perhaps Patricia would consider letting the whole set be published. The last 10 years of his health was a tough road that he travelled with his positive attitude.