PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL in Germany as a non EU/US national
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2022, 15:52
wheniwasin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses. It has helped me get a better picture of things. My post didn't get many replies for a while, so i was worried i'd not find the information easily.

Originally Posted by Tharaka737
...My best advice is do the ATPL exams first.
Yes, this is my plan, to study on my own, attend class as per requirement, and then attempt the exams.

You can do the exams with your PPL only.
ICAO (CASA) PPL and not EASA PPL?

You don’t need to have a EASA medical for the exams but I recommend you get one before starting anything.
Yes i will. i already have Class1 medical from 2 countries, but i will take an EASA Class 1 just so nothing pops up later on.

You don’t have to convert unless you want.
I can fly on my CASA PPL in EU as a student without converting?

The only issue is you’ll have to go back and get your medical renewed till you get the EASA CPL/ME/IR.
Yes, im aware of this. I will renew my CASA medical right before i have to present my PPL where required.

Originally Posted by rudestuff
The 14 ATPL exams are the only exams you need if you've got a PPL. The cover the theory requirement of both the CPL and IR. The only reason to do the CPL or IR exams is if you definitely don't want an ATPL eventually. Even then you'll likely find the ATPLs easier because 99% of QBs and training is geared towards them.
Yes, i am definitely doing the ATPL exams. I was a bit confused because there were different durations for each theory subject in the document. And the system is slightly different in different countries. (one can attempt ATPL exams only if they have a valid CPL in mine) I have a CASA PPL by the way, not an EASA.

Originally Posted by selfin
the ATPL theory course, including the revision/consolidation weeks, can be completed remotely.
I read that some minimum hours need to be in a physical classroom. Is this old information? Is this "brush up" the same as "revision/consolidation"? Can you tell me what exactly that means, if it has some specific relevance? Do you think i'd be able to do the remote study while out of the country? And go to the class only when required? I'm guessing since the 14 exams would be attempted in smaller sets, that will not be possible.

The only condition is that all papers are done under a single authority...... The state of licence issue must hold your medical records
This much i learnt while researching.

The medical and licence records may be transferred to another state, though it will cost three to four figures....
Are you saying it will cost close to 1000 EUR to transfer? Also what would be the need to transfer? Isn't an EASA ATPL valid the same all over?

LBA, is notorious for being inefficient.
I thought the German one would be top notch 😂

Popular choices include Austrocontrol and Transport Malta. Austrocontrol has established numerous ATPL exam centres across Europe and several more may be found overseas.
I will look into this. Thank you. This is for the theory exams, correct?

If you wish to hold a German general radiotelephone operator certificate without speaking German, you must apply for the AZF E. The requirements for this are set out in the German regulations, <link rem>, section 5. Bundesnetzagentur publishes the exam questions and answers <link rem>.
Thanks again. I will need this "general radiotelephone operator certificate" to do my ATPL flight training in Germany, correct? (even if i have an ICAO FRTOL)

Originally Posted by phlegm
Do you have the right to work in the EU?....
I do not, and at the moment i do not plan to work in the EU afterwards. I would need to be proficient in the local language for that. My country has a big preference/ requirement for EASA ATPL. That's my goal as of now.

---------------------------------------------

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies. I learnt aspects i was not even aware of. This has been very helpful.

I have an additional two questions:

Can anybody help explain what the new Area 100 KSA is? I read that it isn't an exam per se, but it seems pretty vague.

Do i get to carry a scientific calculator and/or a CR-2 (circular slide rule flight computer) for the exams?