PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion of EASA ATPL to UK questions
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2022, 07:48
OrangeSkies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Senior Pilot
From a lengthy thread in Rotarheads, this article may help 🤔

Busy aviation link (I can't post your link, as Pprune state I haven't reached 8 posts yet)
Thank you for the links 'Senior Pilot'.

The Busyaviation one is a useful summary, although I'd read the UK CAAs documents originally and the reason for the question was due to the fact that I don't really fit into an easily definable category, as far as I can tell. Hence the summary document doesn't really add a huge amount of intel for my personal circumstances.

However, the Rotorheads link that you added does add a little more, in that someone asks whether their licence which says on the front page "UK CAA > European Union > Flight Crew Licence > Issued in accordance with Part-FCL > This licence complies with ICAO Standards" needs to be converted, to which someone replied effectively "No". That is the big issue for me, do I need to rush for the Dec 22 deadline, or am I all ready for the UK CAA drawbridge to be raised?

The other part that I am unsure of (although may well be a moot point if my licence is already UK CAA recognised) is the technical points relating to having a medical. In some CAA documents, it talks about needing a "UK medical" and in others, it mentions needing to have "an initial UK medical" In my case, I had an initial Class 1 issued 25+ years ago at LGW. So I am wondering whether theoretically although my medical has lapsed, as it has been temporarily revoked for 12+ months, effectively though I would not need an initial, which is where the long delays are occurring at the CAA from my understanding. My AME has said that when I am fit, I can attend my usual Class 1 medical exam and a new certificate can be issued without having to check with the CAA for approval first, due to the nature of the sickness, providing I have the necessary consultant's letter giving me a clean bill of health. This was/is my second greatest concern (after whether my licence will be valid in 2023), as depending on how the CAA consider 'having a UK medical' is viewed, could make or break getting the original UK > EU licence converted (if necessary), before the end of the year.

All pretty complex and I'm sure that some all-encompassing flowcharts could have saved many lines of CAA text, that still seem to have grey areas in them.