PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting to the bottom of Data Link: Ground Radar and Lightnings
Old 9th Sep 2022, 22:07
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottBouch
Ooh, that was interesting, thank you... It has brought me to the Linesman Mediator system.... lots of reading and learning to do on this topic too!

I will try and get in touch with him, thanks for the pointer.

There is one interesting line on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linesman/Mediator stating: "The interception side was only ever used in the training role of the School of Fighter Control." Difficult to avoid speculating, but some conclusions could be guessed at here regarding the role of Lightnings equipped for Data Link.

Cheers, Scott
Wasn't the Data link suppose to work with GL-161 Tinsmith for overseas operations? The SAM control side of GL-161 data link system was installed in the Bloodhound Mk II system in 1966/67 using the DDL Mk 5 equipment which could be connected to GL-161 via a radio relay system. 41 Squadron trialled it with 1ACC in the UK in 1967 and on exercises in Cyprus in 1968. The two FEAF SAM squadrons were supposed to have got GL-161 data link capability, but the order for their DDL Mk 5 equipment was canned in 1966 as part of East of Suez. When the mods were done to the Launch Control Post, a DDL Mk 5 kit was sent out from the UK to proof the FEAF systems. 3 of them were then given to Singapore with the 3 RAF Bloodhound Sections left at Seletar by 65 Squadron. If the system was developed and trialled before 1967, the basic overview of such work will be covered in the RRE / RRSE half yearly reports held in the National Archives with cover 1961 through to 1967 and a gold mine for information on both Ground and Aircraft electronics systems development in the UK between those years.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...yearly+reports

There are also Yearly reports for 1969 and 1970 (1968's copy was missing on transfer).

Most of RRSE's AP archives were given to the Radar Museum at Neatishead in the early 2000's.