PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2022, 18:41
richpea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott C
Hi all,

I'm shortly to head to Poland to complete my flying training, however, I am a bit concerned about job prospects once I finally have my licence in hand...

I am 31 years old, so getting on a bit compared to many coming out of the 'big' schools, but I have worked in the Aviation industry for 15+ years in a variety of roles, including; Ramp Agent, Dispatcher (Turnaround Coordinator), Ops, Ramp & Dispatch Trainer for a UK holiday airline, as well as in Management - Ramp Manager, Ground Operations Manager and currently as an Airport Manager, working between 2 airports for a large Ground Handling company.

Would this likely work in my favour having experience in the industry or are airlines / commercial operators preferring younger Pilots to join their ranks?

I got my PPL in 2009, but due to finance (mainly), it's taken until now to be able to afford to complete the rest of my training. At the end of it all I will have an EASA CPL/MEIR + MCC/JOC. It's been a long-term investment in terms of time and money, so whilst nothing is ever guaranteed, I suppose i'm just searching for some re-assurance that i'm not being put out to grass just yet!

Honest feedback would be appreciated.

Scott.
I have a similar story but with less of an aviation career background pre-licenses and an extra 8 years ahead of you.... it takes all sorts and any experience is good experience. What the kids have in potential career longevity and being a fresh slate to mould, we make up for in proven resilience, people skills and realistic expectations!

Good luck with it!