PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Increased EFB usage leading to health issues?
Old 8th Sep 2022, 09:10
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increased EFB usage leading to health issues?

Originally posted in the Medical forum but bringing here for better reach. Would be grateful if mods could allow.

When EFBs were first introduced, all we had were navigation charts. Then came electronic performance apps and now the entire Operational Flight Plan (OFP) is on a device mounted in our 9-10 / or 3-2 o' clock position. Because OFPs need constant updating and fiddling with (time and fuel checks, write down the ATIS, the clearance, complete the journey log etc), we spend half the flight with our neck in this unnatural position. Over the last month I've had pain/tension when rotating my neck to the left and am convinced increased EFB use is the reason. No prior history.

We need to get talking about this. I also work in the tech sector and have never suffered any kind of RSI from looking at a screen or typing on a keyboard/using a mouse. Imagine your office employer forced you to work with your torso facing forward but your neck turned towards the left or right. Inconceivable!

Thoughts?

More from the Health and Safety Executive (UK)

https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/

1. Overview

As an employer, you must protect your workers from the health risks of working with display screen equipment (DSE), such as PCs, laptops, tablets and smartphones.

The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations apply to workers who use DSE daily, for continuous periods of an hour or more. We describe these workers as 'DSE users'. The regulations don't apply to workers who use DSE infrequently or only use it for a short time.

How to protect workers' health

In law, employers must:Incorrect use of DSE or poorly designed workstations or work environments can lead to pain in necks, shoulders, backs, arms, wrists and hands as well as fatigue and eye strain. The causes may not always be obvious.

The law applies if users are, for example:
  • at a fixed workstation
  • mobile workers
  • home workers
  • hot-desking (workers should carry out a basic risk assessment if they change desks regularly)