PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Salary Review Time Again
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2022, 07:00
Pif Paf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Hackle
Insurance companies also know this and are prepared to accept the risk. They dont want us old experienced pilots as we are a major expense when you can have almost two new Captains for the same salary. They know they can shake a tree nowdays and cheap pilots will fall out of it..
yes they don’t like paying for older experienced pilots but they need us, why?

Many years ago, at one of the pilots meetings, we were told that EKs insurance premiums had dropped. EK was very happy! They also explained why.

Airlines have insurance, in some respects similar to car insurance.so aircraft age, number of aircraft, route structure, accident record, safety record, maintenance, hours flown etc all count towards premiums. Also a major factor is pilots ages and experience levels. Too many young, inexperienced pilots mean the premiums go up.

So while senior experienced captains may cost some money in reality they need a proportion of the flight crew to be older and more experienced to balance out the number of young, inexperienced Pilots coming through, in order to keep the insurance companies happy! Also it makes passengers a bit happier knowing there’s some experience on the flight deck?

(plus someone needs to make sure the young, I’ve been flying commercially for 2 years, I therefore know it all, facebook wonder, instagram pasting, Porsche/ Bentley / Ferrari driving (delete as necessary ), I think it’s normal to fly in fully reclined position with feet up because it’s cool, mobile phone hugging, I’m a sky god type actually remembers he’s got to do a job whilst on flight deck)
😀