PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yak-11 "Czech Mate" crash at Bakersfield
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2022, 07:16
DownWest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
Entirely true, of course, and an expansion on my point. It just bugs me to see the myth that it is 'impossible' constantly perpetuated.
Quite:
We had a EFTO with a Mooney at Peterborough. I was A&E in the right seat and got busy with the engine. The CPL in the left seat had a lot of experience in different types of light aircraft (actually had two previous dead sticks there, but with plenty of height and speed)
Ahead didn't look to comfortable, so he elected to turn back. Not enough height to do much of a circuit, or to get back on the c/line, so landed across the runway (grass).
There was a hedge in the light, so he said "If you think we can clear it, get the gear down" This model had the manual gear, so I unclipped the lever and as the hedge went out of sight under the nose, banged it down, just in time for contact. No damage. ( Failure was the injection unit)

But, the Yak, with all its mods, a very different beast. Any idea of the stall speed?

Niel Williams did the test flight in a Yak 11 back in the 70s. It had been acquired and restored by Personal Plane Services. But had no notes on performance of handling. (The Russians, when asked, said point blank, " You don't have a Yak 11")
He commented on looking round it that the wings had 'tip stall' written all over them. The test flight was 'interesting'...He wrote it up for Pilot Mag(?)
DW