PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAHC Closure - More Ac Losses?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2022, 22:04
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Reality rules OK

Originally Posted by DHfan
There were no flies on Mike Collet so I've never really understood why he decided it was a good idea to move a good proportion of his aeroplanes, and buy a couple more, to Cornwall for what turned out to be a very short period.
It was no secret that the rent on the huge hangar was colossal, after the initial period of grace, so somebody, presumably, must have done the costings and thought it could work.
Those of us who work in the area knew only too well that once someone had to pay for facilities it would fail that test.
It is quite obvious that they ignored the basics of 'business' in that you have to have a regular customer base, plus enough 'enthusiast's prepared to spend money.
I spoke to them early in the venture, and explained that the visitor trade in Cornwall was a very fragile beast that required lots of constant advertising to obtain a slice of the action. Without a budget that could compete with well organised other attractions they simply never could break in to the market which has a very short season.
It was no surprise that they departed when they did, and in fact the Council gave a lot of assistance to try to help the remaining operation to survive.
With no substantial core/regular trade the operation was never going to be able to afford the real ongoing costs, and that was well before Covid hit.
However on a brighter note, looking at Google map to the area north of the present location is a substantial parcel of land (INC MOD) part of which gets used for commercial ventures when required (Boardmasters). I note that the old RAF radar site is by a public road and well supplied with areas of hardstanding and is devoid of use. Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope in that direction !!!