PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mosquito Squadron
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2022, 08:22
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleeve Wing
I believe John Crewdson (?) was one of the pilots and may even have collected together the aircraft for the shoot.
Crewsdon was involved with the film, in the aerial production, but I don't believe he actually flew any of the Mosquito's during filming, I think he may have been one of the B-25 pilots along with Martin Cadin. The B-25 had been flown over from USA the previous year for use as camera ship on War Lover, also filmed at Bovingdon, and Crewsdon had been involved with that, having sourced the B-17's in the USA, and flew one of them over for filming.
I believe the Mossie pilots were all serving RAF from CAACU at Exeter where the Mossie's had just been retired from RAF use, and RAF CFS at Little Rissington. They included Taff Rich (who did the crash landing sequence) Flt.Lt D.J Curtis, FO C.Kirkham (who flew the final RAF Mosquito flight in 1965) and the legendary Jeff Hawke, who was still just a serving RAF pilot at the time, and left the RAF just after filming finished. He actually 'borrowed' one of the Mosquito's to fly back to Wattisham for his RAF leaving bash.....and legend has his departure afterwards was quite memorable.