PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you're scud-running, don't follow rising terrain.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 13:31
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
If I was a pilot, I would take a lesson from this footage.
Well my friend, flying into IMC and the often resulting CFIT is one of the most cherished way to destroy perfectly healthy helicopters and human beings. We have tons of videos and lectures and fingers pointing at that fact, alas we continue doing scud running one a disturbingly regular basis, because more often than not, we get away with it. Even in the FW world, where cloud clearance is much stricter than just "clear of clouds" it happens way too often. And we brag about it. Flying up a mountain in fog so low you just can see the ground? I even got that as a tip for descending a mountain from my first instructor. Just point your nose towards the mountainside and slowly descend (of ascend as we read in a recent post about an English hill). I never did that because I never had to. But I am not sure, if I wouldn't have done it, once comfortable in an area I knew like the back of my hand. Absolutely stupid idea, I know, but I am human. Hopefully I would remember the time when I scud run over the water and almost crashed. But we will continue to do it. The pressure to get the job done because we need the money or going home instead of camping on a wet mountain top or just because we think we can do it is just too great and will very often defy logical decision making. After a while, most pilots confidence level is high enough to do things, that will get him into situations, where the pilot himself will afterwards say, that was stupid. In case of an accident, his colleagues will think it at the funeral. But to the family and his friends he was always such a cautious pilot and had so much experience.
But we have come a long way since the days, when another helicopter crash was just another footnote in a local newspaper. We have achieved a level of safety that is so much better than 30 years ago when I started. The rules are more strict and companies do not frown upon pilots anymore who take the decision not to fly (not all, unfortunately). Even if there is a child with 60% of his body burned. We are doing better, but this video isn't exceptional enough to change anything. It is just one more story among many. The final report will be much more useful, because we finally would know, why he did it.

Last edited by Rotorbee; 3rd Sep 2022 at 17:54.