PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 23:09
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
Sh@t does happen.
i promise you he did his best.
That would not fly (pardon the pun) with the general public. Do you think Alan Joyce could simply say “sh1t does happen” after the loss of 737? The travelling fare paying public expect to board an aircraft and safely arrive at their destination and they equally expect the pilot(s) to be qualified, experienced and to fly in accordance with the required regulations. Professional pilots, be it in an A380 or Cessna 172 owe it to their passengers to get them there safely and if required, turn back.

Qantas flew / fly to Mount Hotham and regularly turned back in their Dash 8 due to weather and bus the passengers to the mountain via Albury or similar. It is what it is. They don’t have get-there-itis. Not suggesting that what happened here, just observations in general.

I feel self embarrassment when I fly solo and scud run to a point that makes me uncomfortable and have to turn back with zero options. I can’t even contemplate doing that with a passenger, as in, getting to that position in the first place as it’s not fair on them.

During my second last AFR we headed towards bad weather through low clouds and hills. I told the instructor that I was “calling it” in terms of the AFR and the rules for VFR (my personal minimums were a bit lower though) and wanted to head back. She said it was still fine and not to worry and to continue on. I slowed right down and extended the flaps We got to a point where an abrupt 180 was required and she said that she didn’t realise it was going to get that bad and I was lucky I was going slowly. Basically, I let her convince me that it was fine to continue. I was quietly very annoyed at her and myself afterwards. I wasn’t overly concerned as I knew I could power up, hit the instruments and head home, however others may not have had that option available to them.

I’m not exactly sure as to the moral of my story, other than to say that there are cowboys (and girls) out there propagating this type of behaviour.