PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 13:30
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by john_tullamarine
A bit of a worry back in the 'old'days but today, with all the modern technology, not so much! Portable GPS, iPad, hand held VHF, mobile phone, a couple of torches - good to go!

.. now, do tell us how that all works when you are out there at 0-dark-30, the main (ship's) battery is dead, whatever standby batteries are dead, and the panel likewise ? I would have thought still much the same sort of worry as in days of yore ? I don't see any reference in your list to flight instruments ? Let's see, the portable GPS will tell you where you are about to die, I guess you can play a quick game of whatever on the iPad, the handheld lets you tell someone that you are about to die, likewise the phone, and the torches will let you see the dead panel in glorious candlelight until you die .....
Or did I miss something along the way, there ?
I've done plenty of limited panel, quite successfully, but never no panel.
I don't see any reference in your list to flight instruments ?
I think you make light of the capability available in a Garmin portable GPS and an iPhone/iPad. Both will give you a moving map or flight instruments, the former with terrain warning!
Not sure how I am going to lose everything in an electrical failure (I have had two - one VFR in a C210 and the other IFR in IMC in a Bonanza), which I believe was the senario referred to, unless the panel is all electric. Personally I wouldn't fly in such a aircraft in anything other than 8/8 blue sky without independent battery powered AH and GPS - doesn't meet my risk profile!

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 2nd Sep 2022 at 14:07.