PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Army Grounds Entire Fleet of Chinook Helicopters
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 03:18
MechEngr

Received 214 Likes on 118 Posts
My wife was an item manger for the Army and supported helicopters. Very creative ways they proposed she send them equipment they were not authorized to have or should have had on hand. They'd send in a requisition - she would look up the authorization - then call them. Surprise! They didn't know what they were authorized to have. I suspected fishing expeditions, particularly as the most coveted of equipment was maintained by a very supportive maker who would, when an item came for repair, add at no cost any cables that were missing, upgrade to the latest configuration, and send it back on a quick turnaround. Once she got a call from a base asking where the unit was. They claimed to have sent it directly (skipping the item manager who is to track them) and she called the company. They said they had never received it, but shipped a new unit on the sincere say-so of my wife who believed a broken unit had actually been shipped.

I worked to design items for pretty much every continent for the US and other militaries. Most were good about things, though the USMC kept damaging armored vehicles by tearing off the driver's hatch. Turns out that the driver ducking under a foot thick tree branch isn't enough to take the full momentum of an armored M113 by the hatch alone.

The only supply shenanigans were in the Middle East where TACOM complained that tow chains we supplied as kit for our trailers were getting broken and wanted them replaced for free. We responded by asking for the broken chains back to examine them. They were OK with that and it took all of 10 seconds to realize they were Chinese made imports to the Middle East and pointed that out. For some reason TACOM decided to pay for the new ones. I think the stateside people had been misled, but no one ever came forward with where the original US made and tested chains had gone. Sadly I bet the Taliban are using them on those Toyota trucks. I hope the trailers were disabled before the big drop to 2500. TACOM used them for everything. I think the main complaint was tires not handling hitting a foot high curb at 50 miles per hour without damage to the wheels.

We also did a radar system for the USAF, one in particular of several. And several times the USAF would look at the price we charged for repairs and decide they had all sorts of highly trained techs and why shouldn't they do the repairs instead. And then 6 months later their repair shop would be filled with un-repaired radar components and the USAF would then decide that getting them working was better than saving the money by literally, not fixing them. Their problem was that techs were only rotated through for 2 years or less, which meant that just when they learned to diagnose and fix - off they went to another assignment. Meanwhile we had to keep sloshing our techs around to keep them so they didn't leave before the USAF came back. And, of course, the USAF wanted the back-log cleared right this minute.