PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2022, 21:34
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
I’ve been saying what you’re saying in all of my above posts and I agree, but I don’t agree with this certified versus uncertified tripe. Give me a Dynon and AP servos and day of the week versus the factory AP from a 1972 Cessna.
Me too Squawk. Dual Dynons with OzR maps on them, a VHF radio with built in intercom and a KLN-90 for en-route navigation rounds out the RV's panel.

I would never deliberately fly in IMC with my setup - I have a single ADAHRS with no backup as it is strictly VFR only till then, however, I have no problems with trusting it to keep me alive if I do screwup and entry into IMC is the only option. Coupled with OzRunways (and AvPlan too, I believe) you can even have it fly the RNAV approach with the muppet pilot only controlling the vertical portion. With the autopilot modes set to GPS & IAS HOLD and selected altitude set to the Minima you control descent rate with power and then only have to touch the throttle while you contemplate how you are not going to get yourself into this situation again...I have tried this several times to get myself comfortable with it, and it works well.

BUT - as above I am not recommending this as a means for VFR pilots to deliberately fly IMC - only as a means to keep you alive with the systems you have on board if you screwup and find yourself in such a situation. Know your systems and their capabilities and get them in play early in the piece and you stand at least a decent chance of being able to tell someone about your mistake after the fact.