PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2022, 18:16
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
But it had to exist in the first place to allow the different interpretations, so that makes it a contributor and doesn't make it soley down to the UK government - you can't say its "No nothing to do with the EU", it wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a pool of labour there willing to accept those terms. And yes, wage restraints are something different - not sure why your bringing them up?
Again and finally the EU doesn’t determine wage policy or define contracts beyond those that effect “health and safety” and worker rights .

YOU can not say that a pool of labour effected wages either indeed there has been attempts to analyse this yet none has been able to adequately quantify any effect either way within a acceptable level of error !

Right now are the real wages rising No , indeed they are falling as a result of inflation not seen since I was knee high to a grasshopper!

And taking your example we now have a massive shortage in particular sectors including the aviation sector .Where are the queues of domestic workers lining up for these vacancies - well ?

Have the rates of pay at SWISSPORT / DNATA / DHL and the myriad agencies increased NO and they won’t either, indeed with reduced “burdens” or regulations these employers can be emboldened to maintain their positions imho.

Where there has been upward pressure on rates is mainly in the skilled sectors - For instance I have personal experience in employing an estimator that has seen typical rates of pay rise from £35k to nearer £45k in the last year or so ( plus £8k to an agency ) , however that’s because estimators are in demand and in short supply on a purely domestic basis ( and irrelevant of external pressures)

The blame foreigners is far to simplistic.

Right this is the last of these political diatribes from me and shall we now discuss aviation in the context of Manchester Airport be that route news, development, and employment opportunities.
Or even negative news of potential route closures or note?