PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I get my class 1 medical with crohns?
Old 1st Sep 2022, 14:48
EasyJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I get my class 1 medical with crohns?

Hello good people of the internett. I am a 23 years old pilot student, located in Norway. Halfway though my studies I got diagnosed with crohns. I got well extremely fast with medication and today I am in remission and feel like I've never had anything. But I still need medication to be in remission. The faces and blood tests indicate that the medication is the cause for my well being. I am using "Adalimumab (Hyrimoz, Humira)" every other week.

When I went for a revalidation of my medical class 1 it got rejected because of my crohns. The authorities said I had to prove that I was in remission with a koloskopi and then a OML restriction will be given. I gave them a koloskopi test which said that I am in remission. Then they came back with: We can not give a OML restriction to someone who already does not have a licence. So to get a medical class 1 in Norway, my only option is to quit on medication and hope to not get a relapse. My doctor strongly advised me to not stop with the medication, because a relapse is highly likely.

Right now I've almost completed all of my ATPL subjects and really want to become a pilot! My question to you guys are: How can I get a medical class 1? I've heard that in England I have a chance to get a valid medical. That in England they practice with Alternative means of compliance under CAA. But I can not seem to find any information around that. And If I went to England and got a medical class 1 there. Would that be valid in Norway? since Norway is under EASA and since Brexit CAA divided itself from EU.

My question is: How do I proceed from here? should I just give up when I've come so far? do I even have any choice?