PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Army Grounds Entire Fleet of Chinook Helicopters
Old 1st Sep 2022, 14:41
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
If it is in fact O-Rings....the fix will be quick.

In days of old....the Army Supply system used to provide the next higher level part should what you were requesting was out of stock....odd as it sounds....for some simple O-Rings for a fuel line connection on the Engine Fuel Control....that next higher part was the Fuel Control Unit itself.

That meant if the Unit Supply Officer was a cagey fellow....he would submit a series of Request Chits for those O-Rings until a Fuel Control Unit arrived....and arrived...and arrived.

That way the Aviation Tech Supply stockage for the unit had plenty of spares on hand.

That upset the system....and created a black market system of horse trading between Units that held overages in certain important items beyond what they were authorized to hold in their Unit Stores.

One unit might have cornered the market on Rotor Blades, or Combining Transmissions......etc....and some swapping took place which could achieve a quicker re-supply of a needed item than could be achieved through the proper Supply System procedures.

Upon being assigned the collateral duty of "Tech Supply Officer" I discovered the existence of said Black Market system by doing an Inventory of our unit holdings.....as I was going to be held for account for every item.....I demanded I put my right index finger's fingerprint. on the items.

The Tech Supply NCO got rather nervous as I started counting and nearly fainted when I discovered a real discrepancy between the Item Card showing how many we were authorized and how many serviceable components we had on hand and how many were on order and how many were Red Tagged and awaiting turn-in.

The good news for the NCO, me, and the unit was we had an overage.....not a shortage despite the card showing we had the right numbers on paper except for the actual number on hand exceeded authorized numbers on hand (the card showed on hand as being the authorized to have on hand number and the others not appearing in the count).

During periodic administrative inspections by higher authorities....finding places to stash the ill gotten gains temporarily got a bit interesting as we loaded up trucks and then had to craft Dispatch Cards for each truck showing them to be gone for logistical runs to explain their absence.

Army NCO's....properly nurtured and trained by their predecessors are the back bone of the Army. Officers just think they run the place....otherwise it would be a real shambles.

I gave my Tech Supply NCO a glowing report as we rarely had a delay for parts.

My "success" there got me reassigned to the Unit Motor Pool as the Motor Officer....and that was a whole different kettle of fish as the Motor Sergeant had been promoted well beyond his ability.....until he was offered some career guidance and encouragement....at which time he turned into a pretty good hand.

He even got a good report card ....finally....and earned......as my promise of his immediate transfer to combat Infantry unit with a loss of his stripes upon any discerned lack of enthusiasm, effort, response, or demeanor would be my greatest joy seemed to sink home with him as we were very much in a shooting war at that time all around us.