PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas loses $860 million last year.
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2022, 12:51
dr dre

Received 365 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
The point being that I have no wish for any company to follow that path, but QF is tracking that way (IMO).
Is it though?

I remember (before he went insane) Clive Palmer talking about the Qantas issues in 2014. He said something along the lines of “there’s not too much wrong with Qantas, their fundamentals are strong and if I was the CEO I’d fix em up”.

I think he’s right. The fundamentals of QF are very strong. Big cash reserves, big market share, debt lowest since GFC, very strong FF program, share price on the way up (some forecasts show it heading for mid-$6), FY results better than expected, travel demand coming back strongly. I believe the recent handouts to FF were quite enticing (website crashed as a result of demand). Fleet renewal program underway (mainline aircraft ordered for the first time under Joyce).

Yes there are issues, no doubt about it. But the same was said (QF about to collapse) in 2020 with Covid, in 2014 after the capacity war, in 2011 with the PIA, in 2008 with the GFC. The company is now heading into supposed oblivion for the 5th time in 15 years…..