PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 3 lost west of Brisbane Monday 29-8-22
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2022, 10:38
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/view...ument%20rating.

An interesting study paper into VFR into IMC accidents.

Of note table 4, 32% of all VFR into IMC accidents were instrument rated pilots, so having an IR is no cure for this.

Also interesting that 82% of pilots involved in accidents were aged over 40, only 18% were aged under 40. No surprises though that 60% were under 1000 hours TT.

Figure 9 was a good graph of what is the problem, education, private pilots are not trained nearly enough on weather awareness and interpretation and exposure to real world environments is haphazard.

It was good to note that the trend was downward.

I agree that quality IF rated pilots can reduce the occurrence of VFR into IMC accidents, as does additional type specific training. But the huge missing chunk here is just basic understanding of weather and the dangers of operating in or near IMC. Especially the way weather interacts with terrain in valleys and other choke points that you can get trapped in, or lured into. Then if you are trapped on top, even if you stuffed up, ask for assistance.

I have heard several instances on the radio where a VFR pilot has asked for assistance from ATS, followed their instructions and I'm happy to say none I've heard live have ended badly.