PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-3
Thread: Manchester-3
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2022, 07:50
Mark J Bowcock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutan16
Delta/Virgin or JetBlue ?

As per my comments about United, I am deeply concerned about the gloomy economic prospects coming ourway in summer 2023, and frankly think Trans Atlantic expansion of any significant kind would be madness for all carriers !

After June 2023 just two seasons away, June 2024 is the next obvious point in the cycle .

To be honest Boston seems a pretty weak market from the North West, and isn’t exactly a large hub and spoke centre ( to drive some infill in the back of the bus) either.

Indeed when it come to economic drivers of long haul in particular, both airports can be seen to have some comparable drivers:
VFR ,international students, pharmaceutical industries combined with a healthy dose of outbound tourism.

Hubbing transfers aren’t among them, and it’s therefore primarily point to point traffic generated locally.

Both have some regional commuter/ essential island traffic in the mix, however at neither airport do these make a significant impact for onward connections.
At both airports these connections can be seen to be niche carriers in the main, rather than major network operators.

Other than Japan and Korea from Boston, and Bangladesh and Ethiopia from Manchester the profiles are remarkable similar ( even same Hainan Chinese presence!)

Indeed Manchester has the edge when it comes to the Middle East ( and onwards to the myriad Indian cities) by a country mile ,whilst Boston wins within the Americas
That VFR traffic again .

Neither manages a direct Delhi service for some reason I don’t quite understand given the university /tech industries similarities ( Both cities have major scientific universities, certainly liked by the Chinese rather less by Indians and I don’t know why, its just a little strange through)

Actually not really many computer science Indian students are enticed by rather easier and sponsored opportunities in the California and Washington State’s . Very specific courses in the main not so much physics and genuine scientific research ( generalisations acknowledged!)

From a Manchester -US perspective, and when the economic clouds divide the region desperately needs to recover a West Coast service imho.

With the death of TCX in the UK, future significant restoration/expansion is likely down to VS/DL in my view. Those 339s ordered gotta fly somewhere, however again thats post 2024 and beyond territory.

As for JetBlue I think their intentions beyond access to London remain be seen .
They have certainly been a prime beneficiary of the unexpected slot releases in the south east produced post COVID19, and this may have impacted some of their other plans in the immediacy.

Suffice to say prior summer 2024 just doesn’t seem to work for Boston imho.

Theres seems to be a lot of I think this and I think that statements in your responses. Virgin flew to Boston 3/4 times a week on an A330 and it was due to come back daily on Delta b4 covid struck! So I think there’ is demand for it tbh! United was due to be upgraded to a 767300 again b4 covid! Perhaps seeing you live in London you should really dedicate your time to LGW who kind of lost most of its long haul traffic! Didn’t Virgin pull out but kept Manchester.