Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2022, 11:31
Taylorfamily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenley in the 50s

Originally Posted by jegman4
Hi everyone,
I have read with great interest the comments about RAF Kenley. I did my National Service there from 1956 to 1958.
While I am not a pilot, I was however a fireman there and spent many days on duty in a crash tender by dispersal watching the cadets do their ‘circuits and bumps’.

The only old wreck that was on the airfield during that time was an old lanc that we used for fire practice and fire displays. The others must have been added after 1958

We had a Home Command fire competition there in 1957? as I remember.
The other RAF stations sent teams as well as the Navy and also Americans based in England then.

I was also there during the time that “HEATHROW DIRECTOR” was there as an ATC Cadet.
I was one of the fireman sent around the cadets hut to replenish the fire extinguishers that they had gleefully set off. Do you remember that Heathrow Director?

What did your father do at Kenley reynoldsno1? Maybe I knew him

It was nice to see the pics old airfield and dispersal area again albeit only from the air.
No crash tenders to be seen though, as the Fire Section personnel and equipment were moved to Biggin Hill in early 1968 . One day before I was demobbed actually. So I spent my last night alone in the barracks. Those two years I spent there however are fond memories.
I am 72 now (celebrated my 70th with a sky jump) and have tried to contact old mates from there but have only been able to find one. He now lives in Czechoslovakia and I am in Canada.
I would welcome any e-mails about the old place….Went there last in 1983 with my Canadian wife. We didn’t see anything though as all the old place was gone.

Well, thanks for the opportunity to chat guys
Hi, my dad was stationed at Kenley in the 1950s after being in Cyprus, on my birth certificate it says we lived at no7 married quarters, my dads name was Alfred Taylor.