PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine overspeed or other engine underspeed in AB212 or UH1N
Old 26th Aug 2022, 23:24
212man

Received 355 Likes on 199 Posts
That is why I taught the importance of thinking first.
I think you would have some empathy with my highside failure on the ground. Picking up senior client managers from a remote camp, as I watched the pax walk to the aircraft I heard the Nr rising. I immediately closed the throttles to idle and looked inside, to find the Nr decaying and both engines at idle. Knowing how the AFCU worked, I surmised that I’d had an N2 governor failure, but didn’t know which engine, and it wasn’t necessary to shut the engines down as per the checklist. To troubleshoot, I slowly increased the number one throttle and as the Nr reached 100% it stabilised and opening the throttle further had no effect. I then closed the throttle and repeated with number two, but the Nr did not stabilise at 100% and wanted to carry on increasing. After shutting down I phoned base to tell them we had an N2 governor failure on number two engine. A while later an engineer flew out with the required spares and it was quickly repaired, and we flew home. Soon after landing I was called into the Base Manager’s office and reprimanded for not following the emergency checklist - I.e. immediately closing both throttles to shut off. Hey ho…..