PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner not happy with ATSB
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 05:38
helispotter

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I had skimmed the ATSB report AO-2018-078 some time back prior to reading the ABC news item with the coroners fairly scathing remarks about the report. I have taken another look at what ATSB wrote and, without reading everything, I still think it seems sensible and makes a reasonable assessment of what most likely happened, including the 'reason' for the crash: "While using a route through the Arthur Range due to low cloud conditions, the pilot likely encountered reduced visual cues in close proximity to the ground, as per the forecast conditions. This led to controlled flight into terrain while attempting to exit the range". Not sure what more was expected or was possible for ATSB to establish?

It is also noted that a draft of report was provided to Airlines of Tasmania, CASA, BOM and others and that in response submissions were received from all three and the UK AAIB. Those were reviewed and, where considered appropriate, the report was amended. So the report has some independent review. Perhaps ATSB should include relevant state and territory coroners in the release of draft reports where accidents involve fatalities so that coroners have an opportunity to comment before a final report is published by the ATSB? [Update: ATSB did just that for the report into the C130 N134CG crash at Peak View: "draft report was sent to the NSW State Coroner for information"].

Last edited by helispotter; 29th Aug 2022 at 05:04.