PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner not happy with ATSB
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 04:11
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
though their psyche must have taken a hit.

Can be a worry when that doesn't apply.

A case in point. Years ago, up at Kyneton, doing some engineering work ...... Cloud base a whole lot lower than I would have chosen to fly in VFR. Along comes a little single from a well-known and large training organisation in NSW. Low circuit and landing. Some youngsters clamber out.

I had a relaxed natter with the pilot. Now we all have frightened the living bejezus out of ourselves on multiple occasions in nominal VFR operations. My prime concern talking with the young fellow was the observation that he was quite relaxed about the preceding flight - what should have frightened him witless had had no apparent effect on him - big worry there. Turned out that his father was one of our 767 captains so I had a natter with dad when convenient and related the tale so that dad might be able to have a beer and a chat about this and that with the son. Father was quite grateful for the opportunity to be able to point out a few things to the youngster.

How we actually managed to get through our first 1000 hours, frightened but not scratched, often causes me to shake my head .....

that's why they like to be assisted by people with expertise in the subject matter

My concern, reading the reported tale, is that one might wonder whether the coroner might have done better insisting that he actually did have such expertise available to him during the coronial ? His reported comments suggest otherwise ... ?