PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine overspeed or other engine underspeed in AB212 or UH1N
Old 26th Aug 2022, 02:55
megan

Received 470 Likes on 227 Posts
The report may contradict your assumptions. I am assuming you have actually read it of course.
I am intimately familiar with the report, read it a thousand times, I take note you revel in "After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrongI", I assume in your arrogance you took note where the report said, bolding mine,
The three very experienced simulator instructors, who took part in the simulator trials of the governor high-side failure, stated that their past trainees, with few exceptions, had failed to cope with the Np high-side failure until the practice of identifying the emergency and controlling rotor RPM had become instinctive as a result of training in the CPT. The instructors emphasised that experienced single-engine pilots training to fly the Bell 214ST were very prone to lower the collective instinctively in the event of any perceived emergency. The instructors were adamant that even most highly experienced twin-engine helicopter pilots often react like the captain of VH-HOQ until they have practised the Np overspeed failure drill in the CPT.

It was the opinion of the experts viewing the simulation that the actions of the captain of VHHOQ were instinctively those of a twin- engine helicopter pilot who had not had the benefit of previous simulator training to cope with an Np overspeed emergency at what was considered to be a most critical stage of flight.
Calling "rotor RPM" only accentuated the predilection for an untrained individual to drop the collective.
There is something called ambient noise, and it gives a pretty clear indication of what the rotor is doing
Except that hearing is the first faculty you lose in a stressful situation, had an engine failure at the exact same point in a rig take off as these guys, it was not not until we had leveled and beginning the climb that the other chap asked "do want me to cancel the tone", up to that point I wasn't aware it was on, nor the engine out light was on, nor did I hear him put out a mayday during the dive for the water. At the time of his question I was trying to regain rotor RPM from where it had dropped, 94%, and didn't know at that stage if a ditching was going to be the outcome. Bells and whistles only go so far. Ace co-pilot, Alex Crawford, thanks Mate.